The Centers for Disease Control recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 10 people or more throughout the U.S. The spread of coronavirus is a fast-moving narrative; there are many unknowns and uncertainties. We have the interests of all our members in mind as we work our way through this difficult time together. We recognize that many may be disappointed by these cancellations. Much work has gone into the planning and organization, and now work remains to undo plans that have been made. Richard Hudson is contacting speakers and Steve Cole is working with judges to re-schedule speakers and judges for our meetings and salons. We are also pursuing ideas for virtual meetings. Here are the meetings that are cancelled:
- Wednesday, March 18, 6:30 pm: Mike Shaw on Photography Planning Apps
- Wednesday, April 1, 6:30 pm: Salon Meeting
- Wednesday, April 15, 6:30 pm: Rikk Flohr on Photography in Iceland
- Wednesday, May 6, 6:30 pm: Gary Alan Nelson on Semi-Abstract Landscape Photography
The April Salon will be postponed until June and the June salon will be cancelled. Images already submitted for the April salon will be judged at the June 3 meeting. Judging of the N4C Journalism contest scheduled for Sunday, March 22, is being done remotely.
Other Things We Can Do
- With the help of Ginny Gaynor and Richard Hudson, we are planning some short notice outings to capture wildflowers in our area.
- The popular and now timely eBook, “Close to Home: Finding Great Photographs in Your Own Back Yard” is being made available until the end of April by its author, Stuart Sipahigil, for free. (It’s been unavailable from its publisher, Craft And Vision for the last few years). You can find the link on the Home page here: https://stuartsipahigil.com/. The link to download is the title of the book in italics that states. “So, for a limited time (until April 30), he is making his popular ebook, Close to Home: Finding Great Photographs in Your Own Back Yard, available for free.”
- Please send me new or old photos that are “Close to Home” and I’ll put up a gallery to inspire us. Please send them no larger than 960 pixels on the longest side, give them a meaningful title, and email them to email@example.com
- Also, for people who were interested in Mike Shaw’s talk about the Planit app, here’s his index of the online tutorials, produced by the makers of the app: https://www.mikeshawphotography.com/planit Mike is also considering doing a Webinar and will let us know if and when it happens.