Updated for 2023. Changes are colored pink. As of 2022 it is no longer necessary to capture assignment images after a specified date.
Salons are open only to members of WWPC who are current in their dues. There are six competition salons during the year, held on every even-numbered month (February, April, June, August, October and December).
Photographers who submit images to WWPC for competition or discussion authorize WWPC to display them on its website for purposes of promoting the club and the work of its members.
During the course of the year the WWPC will identify special assignments for salons. Assignments are given to encourage members to try new techniques.
At the discretion of the N4C salon coordinator, images entered in WWPC salons may also be entered in the N4C Contests.
WWPC 2022 -23 Salon Quick Guide
- Digital Categories:
- Phone (new in 2023)
- Print Categories: Print competition will resume in April 2023
- Number of Entries
- Five (5) digital images distributed anyway you like across the five categories as long as one of the images is a Phone category entry. If you don’t submit a Phone category entry, you can submit four images.
- Two prints
- File Naming: “Category – Title – XXX”
- XXX is your member ID
- Examples: (Notice the placement of the spaces and hyphens)
- Assignment – Barn – 245
- Creative – Trees – 245
- Nature – Red Fox – 245
- Pictorial – Sunset – 245
- Phone – On the Road – 245
- Image Sizes
- Digital – 1920 pixels on the long side
- Submit to:
- Three weeks prior to salon meeting
- There will be six Competition Salons during the year, held on every even-numbered month (February, April, June, August, October and December).
- Members may submit up to five (5) digital images distributed anyway you like across the five categories as long as one of the images is a Phone category entry. If you don’t submit a Phone category entry, you can submit four images.
- Categories: Creative, Nature, Pictorial, Assignment, Phone.
- The number of salon images allowed per member can be changed during the year, based upon time constraints.
- Members entering the Competition Salons are encouraged to be present at the salon meetings so that they can get feedback from the judge.
- Images must be the work of the entrant using film or digital camera, smart phone or any other electronic device (scanner, etc.).
- Manipulations of the original image, by computer or other means, must be the creation only of the entrant. All other processing, printing, matting, or mounting may be commercially done, unless prohibited in a category.
- The same or similar image or print may be resubmitted once during the salon year in the same category. The file name should be the same as the original submission with the addition of a hyphen and capital Z (-Z) at the end of the title. Each submission will count towards the number of submissions allowed per salon.
- The score for any re-submission will become the final score for that image.
- Any image that received an award (ribbon, place, or honorable mention) in any end of the year competitions will not be eligible for submission in any subsequent year (it is “retired”).
- Images that have not previously received an award in WWPC’s annual salon competition may be re-entered in subsequent competitions.
- Neither digital, nor prints shall contain a watermark identifying the maker.
Image Classes and Categories:
Categories: Color and Monochrome
- Prints may be home or commercially processed (printed).
- Picture size: Minimum of 8×10 inches, Maximum of 16×20 inches (including the mat or mounting).
- Prints should be mounted on a rigid stiff board or foam board and may be matted. No frames of any kind are allowed.
- All prints must have the same information placed on the top left back, following the naming convention below
- Monochrome is limited to monochromatic hues or shades of gray, although filters may be applied to give the image a hue or tint. No part of the image shall be given a special color treatment.
- Images with more than one color must be entered in Color.
- A digital version of the print must also be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date by 5:00 pm.
All prints earning an acceptance score (8-10 points) during the year must be brought to the first December meeting so they can be included in the year end judging.
Categories: Assignment, Creative, Nature, Pictorial, Phone.
- Images may be acquired with a digital camera or smart phone or on traditional film and scanned to a digital file.
- Images must be submitted in JPEG file format (.jpg)
- Images should be sized at no longer than 1920 pixels along the longest dimension. The minimum dimension is 1280 pixels on the longest side.
- sRGB color space is recommended.
Digital Competition images must be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date by 5:00 p.m. Digital versions of all prints must be also be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date by 5:00 p.m. Print competition images must be delivered 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the meeting (6:15 pm)
Digital images should be emailed in the proper size and format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Images should be sent as attachments and not be inserted or embedded in the email.
Naming convention for all images:
- Category: Assignment, Creative, Nature, Pictorial, Phone, Color Print, or Mono Print, followed by a space, then a hyphen and then a space.
- Title, which should use capitalization and spaces between words, followed by a space, then a hyphen and then a space.
- Photographer’s three-digit ID number.
It is very important that this protocol be followed. Images may be rejected if not named correctly.
- Assignment – Sunset – 432
- Creative – Shooting – 532
- Nature – Heron Waiting – 101
- Pictorial – On the Red River – 456
- Phone – One the Road – 245
- Color Print – Cascade Park – 512
- Mono Print – Devil’s Tower – 433
Submission Deadlines & Information
Competition digital images must be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date. Print competition images can be brought to the meeting but must be delivered 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the meeting (6:15 pm). A digital version of the print must also be submitted three weeks prior to the meeting date by 5:00
Members should email digital images in the proper size and format to email@example.com
Click here for the complete WWPC 2023 Salon Rules, which includes detailed category requirements.