More than 6,000 butterflies from around the world are winging their way to Blooming Butterflies, Como’s popular interpretive garden all about the power of pollinators. For just $1, you can release your own butterfly during the daily butterfly release at noon and watch it take flight! Up to 400 butterflies will be released each week.
I went last year a couple of times and I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so many keepers in such a short amount of time, around a half hour. All of the images were shot with a 180mm macro lens, but many of the butterflies are at arm’s length. All images were at f/8 and on bright days I used 800 ISO; cloudy days the ISO was 1600. (Higher ISO because of the hand-held long lens.)
- Go early in the day! As the temperatures rise, the butterflies are more active and less likely to stay still enough to pose. A sunny, cool morning is the best.
- Arrive 30 minutes early to get a good parking space.
- Do not plan on taking a camera bag into the tent.
- Location: 1225 Estabrook Drive, Saint Paul, MN 55103
- Cost: Free, but a voluntary donation of $3.00 is appreciated
- Hours: 10 am to 6:00 pm
- Tripods are not allowed
- More Information